In the heart of the Pyrenees, L'Ariège is only 1 hour from Toulouse. Easily accessible by major highways, the department is close to large cities such as Carcassonne (1h00), Montpellier (2h30) or again Bordeaux (3h00). For more distant destinations it is possible to go to Ariège by plane by stopping in Toulouse or by taking the train which passes through many stations in the department.
Getting to Ariège by road
Go to Foix since :
- Toulouse: Take the A66 towards Foix, then N20 until exit n ° 10.
Continue on the N20 to get to Tarascon-sur-Ariege et Ax-les-Thermes. Take D117 after Foix to join Lavelanet.
- Carcassonne: Take D119 until the junction with the D12 direction Foix. Then take the N20 after the 3th roundabout. Exit N ° 10 Foix.
Take the N20 at Foix to go to Tarascon-sur-Ariege et Ax-les-Thermes. Take D625 at Mirepoix to join Lavelanet.
Go to Saint-Girons since :
- Toulouse: Take A64 / E80 towards Foix, exit N ° 20 towards Saint Girons then follow D117.
- Carcassonne: Take D119 until the junction with the D12 direction Foix. Then take the N20 after the 3th roundabout. Exit N ° 9 towards Saint Jean de Verges. Cross Crampagna until you take the D919 on the right, then turn left onto the D11. Further to the right, take the D117 towards Saint Girons.
Getting to Ariège by train
Stations in Ariège:
- Le vernet
- The Cabannes
Getting to Ariège by plane
✈️ The closest airport to Ariège is that of Toulouse-Blagnac which is located only an hour from Foix!
Departure cities in France to Toulouse : Corsica (Ajaccio, Bastia, Calvi, Figari), Caen, Lorient, Paris, Rennes, Strasbourg, Nantes, Lille, Lyon and Nice.
You can also go to Matabiau station from Toulouse and then take a train to Ariège!
Getting around in Ariège
For greener consumption, we recommend the carpooling or to move by bike for short trips.
- A new line circulates between Ax-les-Thermes et hem. Spend a day full of nature in Orlu and go there with liO for 1 €, from Monday to Friday.
- A special prehistoric shuttle for € 1, will provide the connection between Tarascon station and la Lombrives cave, the Prehistory Park and the Bédeilhac cave every weekend.
These lines connect with the IO trains from Toulouse Matabiau.