Pass'Aran, the Pyrenees without borders!
Cross-border hiking route between France and Spain, Ariège and Val d'Aran. This 5-day sporting hike follows in the footsteps of smugglers, smugglers, miners, shepherds who have traversed the mountain throughout history.
PAss'Aran in a few words
- 5-step loop
- Cumulative positive elevation: 5 m
- Cumulative negative elevation: 5 m
- Highest point: 2880 m
- France - Spain cross-border route
- About 38 hours of walking over 65km
3 possible departures from France:
- House of Valier
- Parking de la Pucelle (municipality of Bonac Irazein)
- Eylie stopover
- Red and white GR10 (stages 1, 2, 5) and cross-border GR (stage 4)
- Cairns and GR211 (stage 3)
- Yellow PR and path to freedom (step 5)
Difficulty level 5/5: For experienced mountain hikers, the length of some stages requires good physical condition to be prepared for the hike over several days as well as experience in reading maps.
The course crosses 5 passes which exceed 2400m in altitude. These passages are still quite snowy in June or early July and require attention or even the use of ice ax and crampons. Do not hesitate to phone the keepers to find out about the conditions and the snow cover on the passes.
For those who are in doubt, do not hesitate to call on a mountain guide.
5 to 10 hours of walking per day with positive elevations of 260 to 1 m and negative elevations of 640m to 310m.
Taking into account the snow cover (5 passes which exceed 2400m in altitude) and the periods of guarding of certain shelters, it is advisable to carry out this trek between the end of June and the end of September.
Addresses and useful documents:
- Detailed itinerary, GPX tracks and reservation information: www.passaran.com
- IGN 1 / 25 maps: Top 25 / Blue Series - 2048OT - Aulus-les-Bains / Mont-Valier
- IGN 1/25 000 map: Top 25 / Blue Series - Aspet / Pic de Mauberme
- 1/25 000 map with editions: Alpina editorial
Shelters and men
This route has been designed by the keepers of mountain huts and lodges to walk on the paths of history, not to forget the difficult paths that our elders had to take to survive. Pass'Aran is above all a human adventure, grandiose landscapes, meetings, surpassing oneself also because it is a sporting course.
The itinerary in 5 stages
Passes, mythical peaks, lakes, punctuate the course in a preserved natural environment: the Crabère, the Mauberme, the Barlonguère, the Valier. The 6000m of cumulative difference in height make it a sporty hike for experienced mountain dwellers. Do not hesitate to call on a mountain guide to complete the route safely. The hiking trail follows famous routes in turn: the GR10, the path of freedom, the Cross-border GR and GR.
Step 1: La Maison du Valier - Eylie gîte
Mid-mountain stage on the GR10 which crosses beech groves and agricultural landscapes.
Distance: 16,7 km
Elevation: + 1642m / -1582m
Stage 2: Eylie gîte - Araing refuge
Access to the high mountains by a mining trail
Distance: 7,1 km
Elevation: + 1221m / -311m
Stage 3: Araing refuge - Amics de Montgarri refuge
High mountain stage in the middle of lakes and peaks
Distance: 19 km
Elevation: + 872m / -1072m
Markup: Cairns + GR211
Stage 4: Amics de Montgarri refuge - Estagnous refuge
Grandiose landscapes around the Valier massif.
Elevation : + 1158m. / -563m.
Markup: GR Cross-border
Stage 5: Estagnous refuge - Maison du Valier gîte
Descent on granite slabs to the Milouga pond
Distance: 10,3 km
Elevation: + 262m / -1522m
Markup: Freedom Trail + GR 10
What equipment to take in your bag?
If you sleep in accommodation on the course, you won't need much in your backpack! Here is a list that can help you prepare for your roaming:
- 40L backpack (and its over-bag to protect in the event of a downpour)
- Gourd, knife, flashlight, compass, garbage bag, cap, sunglasses
- Windbreaker jacket (or a k-way)
- Sleeping bag or silk bag (to sleep in a refuge because the sheets are not provided, the blankets are on the other hand!)
- Ice axes, crampons
- Hat, light gloves
- Hiking boots
- Small towel: ideally in microfiber, it takes up less space and it dries quickly!
- First aid kit: painkillers, dressings, disinfectant wipes, arnica balm, sunscreen, mosquito repellent, survival blanket ...