What's not to love about Montbel Lake? This large expanse of turquoise waters is a delight for young and old alike, whether you are a fan of swimming, water activities of all kinds, mountain biking, running, picnicking, fishing, mushrooms or just idleness and beautiful landscapes!
On the Ariège side, the lake straddles two towns – Léran and Montbel, each with its own leisure centre, with different decors and atmospheres. Come on, follow the guide, I'll help you make your choice!
– Lake Montbel is only 50 minutes from Foix (via the D117 or the D1), 1h35 from Toulouse and 1 hour from Carcassonne.
– Arriving through the village of Léran, a crossroads indicates the directions of the banks of Leran on the left and the shores of Montbel on the right.
- To go from one leisure center to another, count 15 min by car.
– The hiking trail that goes around the lake is 16 km long. It takes 4 hours on foot or 2 hours by mountain bike
– Many unmissable sites nearby: the castle of Montségur, the bastide of Mirepoix, the fountain of Fontestorbes, the greenway of the Cathar Pyrenees, etc. ? Discover the destination
Lac de Montbel – the shores of Léran
The shores of Léran are the most developed and frequented. There is a campsite, a restaurant/bar, a beach (with supervised swimming in the summer) as well as many activities to do on site. The leisure center is located in a pleasantly wooded area. And of course, the view is to die for: the lake and its shades of blue with the horizon line the Tabe massif and the peaks of Saint Barthélemy and Soularac ? We love !
Choose the leisure base on the Léran side:
- To spend a day like at the beach (but better!). Ideally located below a small hill (and therefore far from traffic), there is a sandy beach where you can lay your towel and enjoy a swimming area in an idyllic setting.
- For fans of sports activities! One day will not be enough for you to test everything: canoeing, pedal boating, paddleboarding, windsurfing, sailing, horseback riding, mountain biking, etc.
- If your children have a craving for acrobatic pirouettes! Appy parc, the tree climbing accessible to children from 3 years old, offers this year an elastic trampoline. The harder you push, the higher you go: sensations guaranteed!
- On days when the sun is beating down! Indeed, the edge of the beach is overlooked by a pretty wooded area of oaks and maritime pines. Arranged as a terrace, this space allows you to be in the shade when it is too hot.
Sunset at Lake Montbel – Beautiful Slow Tomorrows Boats in Montbel – Beautiful Slow Tomorrows Undergrowth of Montbel – Beautiful Slow Tomorrows
Lake Montbel – shores of Montbel
The atmosphere around the Montbel leisure center is very bucolic and invites you to recharge your batteries. The landscapes are open and allow our gaze to take full advantage of the view of the lake and the surrounding hillsides.
The spot is wilder, within a soothing nature. Here we find a small campsite, a supervised swimming area in summer, two restaurants, canoe/paddle rental, games for children.
Choose the leisure base on the Montbel side:
- To admire the sunset! Land on the edge of the lake and enjoy the setting sun and its flamboyant colors which are reflected on the water.
- Make children happy by taking you to the Inflatable Games Park : giraffe trampoline, slide with 19-meter aqua-sliding track, ball pool, etc.
The right plan : Admission is valid all day. Therefore, you can exit and return as many times as you want!
- When the craving for pancakes is too great! Go to the Crêperie de Montbel to taste pancakes in the pure Breton tradition. Ideal with children who are on the move: playground right next door and free entry to the inflatable playground for any purchase of a "toddler" menu. The icing on the cake: a gift is offered if your child finishes his meal!
- To enjoy a concert at l'Ecume des jours, the relaxed local guinguette. Be aware that the musical evenings are not specially announced. In short, either you're lucky or you have to make a quick phone call first! ?
- To take a little digestive stroll and have a bird's eye view of the lake, just follow the road towards the place called the Fort for about 500 meters to gain a little height. It is indeed the only place from where one overlooks this beautiful expanse of water.
And in the middle: a “wild corner”
Between the Léran leisure center and that of Montbel, there is a more confidential place full of charm, at a place called La Tuillerie. It can be reached by car – parking available – or on foot from the shores of Léran (about 5 km or 1h15 of easy walking). Quite simply, a little corner of paradise by the lake! ? I want to know more about the wild corner?
Le Coin sauvage, an island of greenery- Ariège Pyrénées – J.Guichard The terrace of Coin Sauvage – Ariège Pyrenees – J.Guichard
In a guinguette atmosphere, it is primarily a place to eat and have a drink. Aperitif boards, roast chickens, sandwiches, etc... Everything is homemade and gives pride of place to local productions.
Also take advantage of the beautiful wooden terrace to participate in a pilates workshop or a floral workshop? (on reservation). We can also (and above all) take the time to live in the moment, chill on the poufs made available, play table football, let yourself be lulled by a bossa nova concert... Here we promise you "good that makes the world happy". Well I assure you that we leave the Coin Sauvage with the banana!
Special mention for the sandbox made available for the little ones as well as for the Massage room ! And yes, you can even enjoy a good massage before or after brunch to end the day in style ✌️
Foosball game at Coin Sauvage – Ariège Pyrénées – J.Guichard Sandbox at Coin Sauvage – Ariège Pyrenees – J.Guichard
my most beautiful memories at lac de montbel
- Mountain bike tour of the lake with the family. Departure banks of Léran, then direction the dam on the left. Stop for lunch “Au Coin Sauvage”. On the menu, grilled chicken and fondant potatoes! ?
- Running outing with friends from the Léran leisure center, turn right. On the way back, picnic by the lake, with your feet in the water! ?
- Flight over the lake in a microlight, the only way to take full measure of the extent of the lake, its eccentric shape and the inimitable blue of its waters. ?️
Mountain biking trip to Lake Montbel – Ariège Pyrenees – J.Guichard Montbel Lake Beach – Ariège Pyrenees – S.Meurisse