THE CASTLE OF ROQUEFIXADE
Perched at the top of an impressive cliff, the fortress of Roquefixade, since the XNUMXth century, faces that of Montségur.
Over 100 meters long, this fortress is divided into two enclosures. Below, a courtyard surrounded by curtain walls following the ridge line. At the top, the castle itself, accessible by a gate tower, a sort of airlock closed by two chicane doors.
After its destruction ordered by Louis XIII in 1632, all that remains of this fortress is a wall pierced by two arched windows and a tower.
In the XNUMXth century, a community of Cathar believers lived in the village and fought for the freedom of their religion, their family and their land.
Free and open access, all year round.
Equipments and Services
- Pet Friendly