Standing at an altitude of 1207m, on the highest part of a rocky outcrop called pog, the castle of Montségur is mentioned in texts from the end of the 12th century. However, the first witnesses of human occupation on this mountain date back to the around four thousand years before our era. At the beginning of the 13th century, the Cathars, followers of a dualistic religion declared heretical by the pope, settled in these places. In 1232, the castle became the seat of the Cathar church. and the refuge of the faidits, local lords dispossessed of their property by the crusade. While Languedoc was set on fire and sword, Montségur lived in relative peace for more than 40 years. Finally, the Pope and the King of France decided in 1243 to finish with Montségur. At the end of a terrible siege of 11 months, on March 16, 1244, the Cathars were led to the stake. More than 200 of them were burned alive. Catharism never recovered from the loss of Montségur and will disappear completely at the beginning of the 14th century age. OPENING HOURS CHÂTEAU MUSEUM (in the village) FEBRUARY 11 a.m. to 16 p.m. 14 p.m. to 17 p.m. MARCH 10 a.m. to 17 p.m. 14 to 17 p.m. APRIL 10 a.m. to 18 p.m. 14 to 18 p.m. MAY 10 a.m. to 18 p.m. JULY 11 a.m. to 13 p.m. 14 a.m. to 19 p.m. and 10 p.m. to 18 p.m. AUGUST 11 a.m. to 13 p.m. 14 a.m. to 19 p.m. and 9 p.m. to 19 p.m. SEPTEMBER 11 a.m. to 13 p.m. 14 a.m. to 19 p.m. and 9 p.m. 19 p.m. 11 p.m. to 13 p.m.
- Groups welcome up to 80 people